- Wed, Jun 01Epsilon SpiresDr. Theresa Chen is an instructor at Syracuse University, where she is the first Taiwanese-American to teach jazz at a college in the United States. As the Pentecost approaches, Dr. Chen will present pieces to welcome the Holy Spirit, along with her own works crossing between classical and jazz.
- Thu, Jun 09Epsilon SpiresEerie and uncannily beautiful, Haley Fohr’s deeply haunting vocals sit at the forefront of her music, atop ambient synths, piano and organ. Her sound is unhurried and filled with space for meditative pauses – transcendent and hypnotic. Featuring special guests Humanbeast and Dutch Experts!
- Fri, Jun 10Epsilon SpiresOne of the most popular and delightful films of the late silent era, "IT" (1927) is a sparkling and lighthearted romantic comedy that came to epitomize the radical upheaval of gender roles and social class during the Jazz Age. Live musical score performed by Jeff Rapsis on our historic pipe organ!
- Sat, Jun 11The Backlot CinemaIf you can’t name the enemy do you become it? A debut hybrid non-fiction feature, Make a Distinction (2021) maps unseen forces of US imperialism through ostensibly disconnected aspects of daily life. Tonight's screening program begins with Kelly Gallagher's new film: We Had Each Other (2021).
- Sat, Jun 18Epsilon SpiresNothing else has ever looked or felt like director René Laloux’s La Planète sauvage. This politically-minded, Cannes-awarded, 1973 counterculture sci-fi classic remains a compelling statement against conformity and oppression. Featuring an ambient psychedelic live musical score by The Empyreans!
- Tue, Jun 21Epsilon SpiresYosuke Fujita also known as FUJI||||||||||TA is a Sound Artist, organist and composer based in Japan. The crux of his performances is his hand-built pipe organ, an instrument Fujita based on the traditional Japanese musical concept of GAGAKU, a slow and elegant form of 7th century classical music.
- Fri, Jul 01Epsilon SpiresFrom mythic realism to pixelated landscapes and celebrity faces, Jude Danielson's paintings and textile works explore the meeting point between pure color perception and recognizable form. Music at 8pm by Intangible Shirt Company (Nicholas Bisceglia, Omeed Goodarzi, Elie McAfee-Hahn & Chris Weisman)
- Wed, Jul 06Epsilon SpiresOrganist, composer, videographer, and writer raised in Keyeser, Wisconsin, Jack is a member of the Sault Ste. Marie Tribe of Chippewa Indians. His music is gentle and expansive, drawing inspiration from the landscape and folk modernisms of the American Midwest.
- Sat, Jul 09Epsilon SpiresImprovisational music performed by Rob Schwimmer on piano, theremin and Haken Continuum to accompany four seminal works by pioneering Ukrainian experimental filmmaker Maya Deren.
- Fri, Jul 29Epsilon SpiresA Night of Performances Exploring Transcendence Through Music, Poetry & Image featuring Artists of Color from across the U.S. including Holland Andrews, Shanta Lee, Nialah Hunter, Jasmin Agosto Sageseeker, and U-Meleni Mhlaba-Adebo. Thematically inspired cuisine and refreshments provided.
- Sat, Aug 06Epsilon SpiresBack in the public eye thanks to a pioneering expedition in Antarctica that has rediscovered HMS Endurance, 107 years after it sank - SOUTH is the extraordinary account of one of the greatest adventures. Experience this unbelievable tale of courage and survival with an energetic live musical score!
- Fri, Sep 02Epsilon SpiresDanish artist Kristoffer Ørum combines augmented reality, 3D printing, video, wireless transmissions and sculpture to summon forth everyday beasts from the cracks between the real and the imagined, reconsidering the relationship between nature and culture.
- Sat, Sep 17Epsilon SpiresA classically- trained musician and composer employing obsolete technology and analogue tape loops, Basinski's haunting and melancholy soundscapes explore the temporal nature of life and resound with the reverberations of memory and the mystery of time. Opening performance by John Also Bennett.
Video by Maralie Armstrong
Photo by Kristopher Radder
The belfry contains the permanent installation of the Weather Warlock drone synthesizer
Video by Maralie Armstrong
The Sanctuary was built in a similar fashion to a European opera house allowing for incredible acoustics and visceral sonic resonance. The versatile stage area has comfortably accommodated chamber orchestras, full-scale opera productions, and dozens of choral singers. The Estey pipe organ has been regularly maintained since installation in 1906 and is in perfect working order for performances ranging from classical to avant-garde. Ornately carved antique pews on 3 levels provide a seating capacity of 425. The venue also features a retractable cinema screen and projection capability.
ART + SCIENCE
Epsilon Spires hosts a multimedia art gallery on the top balcony of the Sanctuary with a curatorial focus on interactive installations that merge art and science to investigate the political implications of perception and subjectivity.