- Fri, Jul 16Virtual TheaterThe stranger-than-fiction story of how a group of Osaka textile workers in the late 1950's are transformed into a fiercely competitive women’s volleyball team becoming an international sensation, feminist role models, and the subject of a wildly popular comic book and a still-influential anime.
- Mon, Jul 19Virtual TheaterIn the last decade of his long and prolific career, Nobuhiko Obayashi (1938-2020) best-known in the U.S. for the cult hit House (1977) wrote and directed a trio of deeply personal and formally audacious films that confronted Japan’s wartime past.
- Fri, Jul 23Epsilon SpiresAn Epic Multi-Course Dinner by award-winning chef Retno Pratiwi of Kaki Lima NYC! Featuring cuisine inspired by the film: Marlina the Murderer, a Indonesian spagetti-western tale of revenge screening in our Backlot Cinema after this unique dining experience.
- Fri, Jul 23Epsilon SpiresTrekking on horseback through the desolate landscape of rural Indonesia, Marlina is bent on administering vigilante justice to carve out a space in a world set against her. With an Ennio Morricone-inspired score, Mouly Surya’s visually stunning epic is a subversive take on the popular genre.
- Fri, Jul 30BrattleboroNewly restored in 4K from the original print, Djibril Diop Mambéty’s tragicomic masterpiece presents a visually stunning and often hilarious critique of neocolonialist structures, capitalist society, and consumer culture. Somali Bantu Cuisine created by Said Bulle of Jilib Jiblets will be available.
- Sat, Jul 31Epsilon SpiresVermont premiere of the filmed production of BABYLON: Journeys of Refugees by Sandglass Theater. A moving and action-packed multimedia experience that looks at the relationship of refugees to their homelands, lost and new, and the conflicts that exist within the countries to which they flee.